Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Art of Eyeshadow:


I’ve heard that the eyes are the windows to your soul. Therefore, why not  accentuate them and make them even more prominent?  I’m not really a fan nor lover of makeup but one of my must haves is my mascara and my eye pencil. I always feel naked without those two, well and of course my lip gloss. Although right now it’s all about the eyes.

Lately I’ve been having a lot of photo shoots, especially for my magazine’s cover girls. So I’ve been curious on checking out how to apply eye makeup and the likes. I usually get inspired with how my big sister, Beryl does her makeup; especially when it comes to eye shadow. Normally she’s the one who helps me with the makeup during my photo shoots and her absence made me realize how it was important for me to learn at least the basics of how to apply a good eye shadow. So thought I’d jump right to that.

smoky eyes

Eye Shadow:
There are different styles of eyeshadow application. Well there’s nothing particular I would advise you to go for, but my personal favourite is the smoky eye. It’s such an art on its own.  It’s amazing how big a difference it brings out on the eyes, and making them stand out.






Tips:
When you make the eyes the focus of your makeup routine, make everything else subtle; pair smoky eyes and heavy eyeshadows with light and neutral lip glosses or pale rouges for the cheeks.

Experiment with different colours and methods until you achieve a desired result.

Another interesting tip I learnt is to colour your eyelid with white eyeliner as an eyeshadow base.  Your eyeshadow colour on top will pop and look so much brighter! I haven’t tried it yet, but if you like experimenting like I do maybe you should, and let me know if it worked out for you.

If you are good at following instructions, here is one of the ways to apply eye shadow:

1.       Asses the undertones of your skin colour. Depending on whether you have brown skin or dark brown skin, your colour palette will vary for eye liner, eyeshadow and mascara.
2.       Select eyeshadows that are both rich in colour and powder-based.

·         For those with lighter skin, eyeshadow that falls in the champagne colour range may be favourable. Eyeshadow for darker skin tone can be in the coral family.
·         If you don’t have access to a makeup brush, or you don’t like the resulting effect, many people choose to apply the eyeshadow with the tip of the index finger. (If you’re like me, you could also opt to use cue tips commonly referred to as cotton buds or ear buds.

3.       Applying bright pink shades to your eyelids only, using a makeup bush. Pink accents the natural hue of dark skin. When applying however, don’t go above the natural crease of the eye.
4.       Apply black or dark brown mascara to your upper eyelashes. When applying, start at the base of the lashes and move up to the lash ends. Move the brush in a slight back and forth motion as you move up. This prevents the mascara from clumping.
5.       Brush a cream-based neutral shade eyeshadow on your lids for another look. Start at the lash line and stop at the lid crease.
6.       Apply a shimmery gold eyeshadow over the neutral base. The base will help the gold colour stand out.
7.       Look for gold eyeshadows that emphasize bronze or copper tones.
8.       Apply a thick line under the eye with a blue-green pencils for another look. Extend just past the outside corner of the eye.
9.       Blend a shimmery eyeshadow over the eyeliner pencil line. Use a makeup brush to achieve the best blending.
10.   Add a small amount of white or neutral eyeshadow to the inside corner of your eye.
11.   Cover the eyelid in black with a creamy eyeliner pencil. Stop at the natural lid crease.
12.   Apply a blue-green eyeshadow over the black eyeliner pencil on the lid. Blend well.
13.   Add a light brown or similarly warm colour eyeshadow above the lid.
14.   Line your lids with a black eyeliner. Use a liquid eyeliner for the most clearly demarcated line. Apply as close to the lash line as possible.
15.   Apply a dark mascara to the upper and lower lashes.


 Note:
Applying an eyeshadow shade above the eyelid crease can make the look overly dramatic. Stop at the crease and blend the colours into the space between the eyebrows and the lid.

You can also try the following: 


Written by Sylvia Oloo


No comments:

Post a Comment